From:
Vilaas Shetty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 17:16:01 -0400
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!  I listened to many of the
recommended pieces.  I particularly liked Prokofiev's concerti (especially
the first one).  Elgar's didn't particularly catch my fancy, which surprised
me since many people seemed to like that one.  Maybe I'm missing something
about the piece?

Also, there were a couple of pieces that I had a difficult time finding at
our music library (either because there weren't recordings of it or there
were too many recordings of it and I couldn't choose).  Would people mind
suggesting a recommended CD or performer of the following concerti? I would
really appreciate it, and thank you for your comments on the others!

Bach in a minor, in E major, & for two violins in d minor (if these were
all on the same disc, that would be really nice)

Bartok no. 2 in particular

Khatchaturian in d minor (if it's with his piano concerto and/or his
concerto-rhapsody in b-flat minor for violin & orchestra that would be even
better)

Wieniawski no. 1 in f# minor, no. 2 in d minor, the Legende (a wonderful
piece I accompanied my violin partner on this past semester), and the
Scherzo-tarantelle (the Legende and Scherzo don't necessarily have to be on
the same CD, although it would be nice if the two concerti were on the same
CD)

Vilaas [log in to unmask]