From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:41:32 -0000
Miguel Muelle writes:

>Thanks so much, Tony.  I read the article, and I will most likely get
>the 1963 Phillips -- perhaps for my birthday in May...
>The one I referred to, however, is indeed 1963, and I find (after more
>research) that it is on the GOLDEN / MELODRAM label (the cover says "Hans
>Knappertsbusch Gesellschaft" above).

That explains the confusion.  This would be taken from a Bavarian Radio
broadcast off-air.  One day someone will go to the trouble of compiling
a complete database of the Bayreuth pefrormances that have found their
way onto CD in this way.  I have one or two myself.  They can be fascinating
though in sound terms they cannot be relied on in the same way that a
commercially produced or properly licenced version can.   The Philips
1963 really is the best all-round though I do look forward to hearing
the 1951 version in the new Naxos pressing.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler CD recordings survey is at:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/index.html