From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:11:58 -0800
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Jocelyn Wang wrote:
>
>>1.) Beethoven did not write any atonal works,
>
>You really should read the review.  The language used by the critic shows
>he was offended by what he heard.  To us the 2nd symphony is not atonal.
>To the reviewer it was as unpleasent to listen to as you feel atonal music
>is.

I've read more than one review of Beethoven's work by contemporary critics,
probably the same review to which you refer.

>>2.) his music never made concert-goers wary of anything else composed
>>contemporaneously
>
>Nor should an encounter with 20th century atonal music do that either.

"An" encounter? No, it shouldn't.  But encounter after encounter? That
is understandable, although I have always maintained that music should
be judged by its content, not its date of composition.

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series