From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:31:54 +0000
"Robert Stumpf, II" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have read several books of recommended recordings and notice that
>over the years there is an amazing consistency.
>
>There are also some interesting and vast differences.

An example which springs immediately to mind is the Rosette given to the
Solti Ring in the Penguin Guide.  This is contrasted with comments from
the Classic CD critic Michael Tanner who described the Solti Ring as "a
hideous disfiguring travesty" due to Solti's unmusical conducting.  Dr
Tanner went on to say the Vienna brass were persuaded to "blow to the
point of farting", that the Funeral March was a "shapeless ruin" and
that in the Walkure farewell Solti forced Hotter to "wobble uncontrollably".

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK