From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 09:40:30 -0400
Tom Connor wrote in reply to Bob K.:

>This is all very very interesting, as I'm about to move out there in the
>heart of it all to see what the deal really is.  I must say I can't wait to
>live in a city with a real orchestra...but the general opinion of the BSO
>[on this list] is so low right now that, well, I'm not sure what to think.
>
>I haven't lived in Boston since the early 80's, but Boston cares about
>music.  The BSO is still a first class orchestra with a glorious heritage.

I haven't lived there since about the same time, but have been back
visiting any number of times.  Coming into this thread rather late
(vacations and all), and while others have already mentioned other groups
in the Boston area, one I'm not sure that's been mentioned is the Boston
Philharmonicm which I assume is still an active ensemble.  Some folks
(myself included) hold this group in high regard for the spirit of their
performances.

However, Boston has for a number of years been an active center for early
music performance, something which I don't believe has been mentioned here.
The Boston Early Music Festival has just about run through this year's
round, and there are groups such as Boston Baroque, the Boston Camerata,
Handel and Haydn Society, etc.

I realize this may not be much help to Bob K., given his own preferences,
but I just wanted to add my two cents that musical life in Boston is NOT
measured by just the BSO, and hasn't for some years.

Bill H.