From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 19:26:33 +0200
Kathleen O'Connell <[log in to unmask]> replies to me Re:
female oppression:

>I don't agree with his conclusions, by and large, but I don't think
>further debate on this point is appropriate for this list.

My last word on this subject: It is generally a mistake to believe that
people of past times were more stupid than we are in our time.

Kathleen O'Connell <[log in to unmask]> replies to me Re: Wagner:

>I wasn't commenting on Wagner's professed attitudes towards women, of which
>I know little.  I was commenting on his anti-semitism.  (I do acknowledge
>that there is a lot of debate as to whether or not anti-semitism is
>directly expressed in Wagner's works; it wasn't and isn't my intention to
>open that debate here.)

I must say I am tired of the talk about antisemitism in Wagner, while it
is so exaggerated and blown-up, so it tend to overshadow everything else in
Wagner.  I think Wagner deserves better afterwords than this antisemitism
goya.

I will present to you an article I found on the Net by a Larry Solomon.
This article is very lousy, and it is in itself an example of that hatred
it claims to be against. See:

   http://community.cc.pima.edu/users/larry/waghit.htm

It is one of those "Wagner influenced Hitler and therefore bears the
responsibility for WWII and Holocaust"-babblings.  Wagner made some
antisemitic speeches, that is true, but in this essay it is vastly
exaggerated and some pure lies.  Not in a word it regards prosemitic
speeches or actings of Wagner, and therewith the article is worthless.

Wagner had non-racist grounds for much of his antisemitic speeches, also
the script "Ueber das Judentum in der Musik"(!), and I am doubtful to
interpretations of his works that say they are racist (even in Parsifal).

Mats Norrman