From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 08:59:21 -0000
Philip Jongeneel wrote:

>Actually Hitler's second greatest musical obsession after Wagner was
>Bruckner.  However, not much has ever been made of this fact.

It has, actually.  By me, in fact.  In a lengthy review I wrote on
the Knappertsbusch Bruckner symphony box on the Music and Arts label I
pointed out the very uncomfortable fact that we owe to Hitler the fact
that Bruckner's scores were finally sorted out in a scholarly fashion.
One of the nasty little ironies that history is often capable of.  Read
the review at:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/classrev/2001/Oct01/Knappertsbusch.htm

Hitler also set up an orchestra in Linz (where both he and Bruckner came
from) to play Bruckner's music.  It was also Bruckner's music that was
played on German radio when the death of Hitler was announced.  Furtwangler
conducting the slow movement from the Seventh Symphony.

It's an ill wind, etc.

Tony Duggan, England.
Mahler recordings survey:
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/Mahler/index.html