From:
Glenn Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:17:42 -0500
You can read about Maria de Alvear at her website (http://mariadealvear.com).
Her infusion of Native American philosophies into much of her work is
without equal in my opinion.  The recording of LIBERTAD contains some
of her finest music in my opinion.  Maria lives in Cologne and is
considered the "most original young composer in Europe" by Kyle Gann
(Village Voice).  Next month de Alvear will premiere a new work with
Joan Jeanrenaud (original Kronos Quartet cellist) in San Francisco.

Barbara Monk Feldman and Bunita Marcus were both associated with Morton
Feldman.  I believe they both have websites as well (do a Google search).

Most well-known of all is Julia Wolfe, one of the original "Bang on a
Can" composers (along with Gordon and Lang).  She is also the wife of
Michael Gordon.

Glenn Freeman <[log in to unmask]>