From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:39:27 PDT
Speaking of exploitation.  What about Charlotte Church? Now, I am far from
experienced or knowledgable about vocal music, so maybe I don't know what
I am talking about.  Maybe I should buy her CD (maybe I should buy Sarah
Brightman's, too.  Right) and listen to it before criticising her.  I heard
her version Ave Maria, once, on the sound system at my local Barnes and
Noble.  Of course, not the best environment in which to appreciate music.
That said, it sounded terrible, her voice straining to hit the high notes.
At my local Tower a few weeks ago, they were giving away a Sony sampler
with Charlotte singing Panis Angelicus.  It sounded better, but her voice,
though sweet, sounded thin.  It sounds as if she has trouble holding a note
clearly for any length of time.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I feel
that if her parents were concerned about developing her talent, they would
have had her study a few more years, waited until the voice matured,
instead of rushing out a CD.  Voice of an Angel, huh? I would much rather
hear the voice of a woman, not the voice of a young girl barely in her
teens.

Ron Chaplin