From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:34:55 -0700
Bernard Savoie wrote:

>Here's something to ponder.  There probably is a Beethoven in our time.
>The problem is he is probably not being understood by most of our
>generation and might not be for a few generations to come.

If this mythical Beethoven reincarnate cannot communicate with his audience
- something the original Beethoven had very little problem with - then
how can this composer be another Beethoven? Beethoven's music was wildly
popular with music aficionados when he lived - even the difficult works
such as the late quartets were being performed all over Europe with a
decade or two of their composition.  Where's the analog to this today?
Oh, how I wish there was one...

Dave
http://www.classical.net/