From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 09:13:18 -0400
D. Stephen Heersink wrote:

>I can't say von Dohnanyi has done anything remarkable in his career at
>Cleveland.  He represents the old German style of playing it straight,
>without much lyricism or emotion.

I am not sure what you mean by "remarkable" in this particular case Surely
his tenure with the Cleveland has been at least that if not more.  More
than half of the orchestra has been hired by him because of turnover and
it reflects his musical and stylistic tradition.  So if you think that the
Cleveland is the best American symphony, and perhaps the best in the world,
he is to receive some credit for that.

One of Dohnanyi's gifts is that he gives pristine, meticulous performances
of music that is all too often overindulged and tortured until it runs the
risk of being vulgar.  He goes for smoothness and flow.  He has brought
to Cleveland a creamier sound, less rugged and more flexable.  Perhaps
your complaint that Dohnanyi plays it straight, without much lyricism or
emotion, is in fact his wiping away the schmaltz that has accumulated over
the years.  He would never, ever let his Beethoven wallow in romanticism,
yet his recent Mahler Ninth is dramatic and full of splendor.

I would equate the Dohnanyi/Cleveland team with Herbie the K's best days
with the Berlin Philharmonic.

Mark