From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:54:07 -0500
Jonathan Knapp wrote:

>Unfortunatley, Alex, I don't think that there is an answer for your
>question, or at least not an easy one.  I think it depends on your taste
>in choral music, but having said that I can offer a few opinions:
>
>1) The Golden Age of choral music is the Rennaisance.  Palestrina is
>unquestionably the finest composer of modal, polyphonic works, especially
>his Stabat Mater, Missa Papae Marchelli, and motets.  But there are dozens
>more great composers from this age with Dufay, Josquin, Jannequin, and even
>Dowland, Weelkes, Tye, Morley, and others.

It is not completely accurate to call Dowland (who wrote no choral music
at all) or for that matter any of the madrigalists truly choral composers.
It's a fine point indeed, but much of the early music which we now consider
to be choral in nature was written for one to a part singing.  You cannot
really call a madrigal a choral piece, IMHO.

Kevin Sutton