From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:29:34 +1000
Igor Grobman asked about books on the subject.  I used an excellent book
called "Musical Europe" which unfortunately was not returned to me by a
travelling friend.  Amazon has a book with that title listed and it (the
first title Amazon's search engine lists) may very well be the one in
question.  It had all sorts of information, including precise addresses.

Apart from the suggestions in the book, I'd strongly recommend a visit
to the cemetery at Simmering which is on a Strassenbahn route - there
are three stops for the cemetery, get off at the second one and ask
someone in the office for directions to the composers' area.  I found
it an extremely moving experience.  You might also like to take a U-Bahn
to Heiligenstadt and try the wine at what is now a Heurige - or it was
fifteen years ago - where, IIRC, a well-known document was written.

Richard Pennycuick