From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:47:52 -0500
Karl Miller wrote:

>...  It changed from being about classical music to being
>about radio.  We had a full time staff of three.  We then added someone
>to coordinate membership/marketing, then a bookeeper, then a fundraiser
>...At that point we got a new program director who started a policy
>of playing movements from works and put prohibitions on what we could
>broadcast.  We went to offering a service overnight instead of having
>our own people at the station.  Then we had a computerized setup with
>digitally stored public service announcements and started outsourcing
>the preparation of "ads," which was followed by extending the overnight
>service to the evenings, cancelling most of the locally produced
>programming...well you get the drift...classical muzak had arrived.

Absolutely heartbreaking.  The only station I listened to in Austin
for five years was the one Karl was on, and his own programs were best
of all; and now it's been turned over to blue-rinsed matrons, with no
evidence whatsoever that they would have objected to a string quartet
by Benjamin Lees.

Donald Clarke