From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:29:20 +0100
Mats Norrman on my statement:

>>Kondrashin lived the same kind of life as the composer, just listen to
>>his rendition af the 13'th (especially the Russian Disc release), if it
>>does not lift You to musical all time high nothing will, the sound quality
>>is a down point.
>
>Lets not forget that Haitinks Sjostakovitj 13 is still not bad.  maybe that
>comes he has such a good and sensetive singer (Marius Rintzler).  Though I
>am not as general a fan of early Haitink.

Lets forget Haitink all together, just Rintzler beeing a good singer does
not help, compared to Kondrashin he way of, way of in everything that this
symphony is about, Haitinks 'Babi Jar' (part 1) does not give You the kind
of stale bood tast as does Kondrashin.  His 'humor' (part 2) has not got a
clue about what makes a russian grin, Kondrashin does.  His 'in the store
show' (part 3) that he havent waited in line, only to find out the the
last item was just bought, Kondrashin does.  His 'fear' (part 4) tell
that he have not had his suitcase packed awating the NKVD coming at night,
Kondrashin did know.  His 'A career' (part 5) talks about tha state
supporting an artist, not deciding for you in a prime sovietique manor as
Kondrashin explains.  And this only my interpretation of their two diffrent
musical languages.

It is just to compare Haitink and Kondrashin, as it was Haitink's fortune
to be the one at hand to take over the Decca projected Shostakovich
symphony cycle at Kondrashins Death (who was contracted to do it in first
place), in my book a grate loss to us all.

BTW some have asked about my e-mail signature:

   -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)

It is there to remind everyone that in 2006 is the centenial of
Shostakovich birth, a year of rejoice - This year is a year of remorse,
as it has passed 25 years since the composer died (on 9 august 1975).

Cordially

Peter