From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:07:28 -0500
I learned yesterday of a rather curious amalgam of styles.  Dave Lombardo,
former drummer for Slayer, has teamed up with several Italian virtuosi
(including oboist Luca Avanzi, flutist Mauro Scappini, and Ottavio Dantone
on harpsichord) to make an album called "Vivaldi: The Meeting." The
RealAudio clips I heard of it don't reveal a lot--one of them is a takeoff
on a movment from "Summer" from The Seasons, where Lombardo's double
bass-drumming parallels the string tremolo effects.  All in all this
appears to be an effort that will irritate purists and intrigue those who
find that infusions of rock revitalize the classics, and merely provide a
brief amusement for still others.

Chris Bonds