From:
Alexander Atkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 19:23:59 +0100
When I introduced myself to the list, I gave the story of how my interest
in classical music began.  Before 16, I had no more than a passing interest
in classical music.  At this age, I found an old Philips recording on tape
of Beethoven's 6th "Pastoral" Symphony dated 1970.  I played it, and played
it, and played it, almost becoming obsessed.  I told my mum about it, who
explained that when I was a baby (1971), she would play it because she
found it calmed me down.  She even said that I would move my head in time
to Beethoven's soothing tones!  You can't get interested any earlier than
that!  Once I had "rediscovered" classical music, I had to listen to more
and this has proved a continuous enjoyable experience which I hope will
endure throughout my life.

Alex Atkin [log in to unmask]