From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:55:35 -0500
Tim Mahon wrote:

>Leaving the hall, Ives caught the following exchange between two audience
>members.
>
>"Is Debussy dead?" "Yes." "Is Ives dead?" "No, but he ought to be."

Which reminds me of a another story.  The New York Phil under Mitropoulos
was rehearsing the 8th Symphony by Philip Greeley Clapp.  Clapp was sitting
out in the hall, unnoticed by the orchestra.  During a break in the
rehearsal Clapp asked one of the musicians what he thought of the
work..."I'd rather have it (the clap) than play it."

Actually, the Phil has played less interesting music over the years.

Karl