From:
Joel Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 23:20:41 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Unforrunately the Alkan Concerto is not one of JO's great recordings - as
>even the liner note writer >seems to feel.

What exactly did the notes say to give this impression? I have the original
SLP, in the American pressing which was supposed to be inferior to the
British one.  I seem to recall that Stereo Review praised JO's preformance
and passed along the info about the different pressings.

Here is another example of what someone wrote earlier. I would love to have
the Great Pianists JO set but I already have the CD of the Busoni as well
as the original vinyl recording.  Got the CD at a local used music shop for
next to nothing several years ago.

I was telling my piano technicin about the Busoni I had just bought and
found that that the Conductor, Daniell Revenaugh, had sent him a free copy.
He not only worked on my piano, but was Revenaugh's technician too when he
was here in town.

Joel Hill
Tallahassee, FL - USA
ALKAN Web Page: http://www.nettally.com/joelhill/alkan