From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:21:33 +0100
Christopher Rosevear thus:

>Jennifer Pike won, playing the Mendelssohn ...
>
>But I cannot help feeling she did not have the absolute freedom of
>expression that came with the maturity of Sarah Williamson - the most
>staggering performance of the Copland clarinet concerto I have ever heard
>- far more accurate than Goodman's and more flexible than Guyot's.

Agred wholeheartedly.  Of all the finalists I think her playing was
the most mature, her interpretation and technique the most lucid and
her enthusiasm the most unbounded.  I agree that Jennifer Pike is an
incredible player and that she produced a monumental sound on her borrowed
Stradivarius.  But at twelve years old I think she has lots of future
chances to demonstrate her brilliance and at the moment should perhaps
be best left alone to revel in it herself and to develop the maturity
and musicianship that will undoubtedly round out her already fearsome
capabilities.  I don't take anything away from her -- but I believe Sarah
Williamson was the better musician.  After all, the competition is not
called The Young Prodigy of the Year -- it's about musicianship!  Ms.
Williamson's Copland was revelatory!

>I won't comment on the dress though ...

Nor I -- but she is a big girl and had only landed from Paris hours before
the performance!

Tim Mahon