From:
Tim Horwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 09:03:07 +0100
Donald Satz  writes:

>Generally, I find Barenboim a highly rewarding pianist except
>for his infrequent forays into Bach territory.

Barenboim appeared on the TV yesterday on the Culture Show on BBC2 talking
about Bach.  He said he wanted to make Bach emotional.  He played a few
excerpts from the Bach Well Tempered Clavier which I felt rather indifferent
to.  He saw the pieces as seminal to Western Music, without there would
be no Wagner or Beethoven.  The interviewer wondered if the piano was
incapable of colour so Barenboim played some phrases saying that this
makes it more like a trumpet. It still sounded like a piano played
staccato to me.  I prefer the old LPs I have of Barenboim playing the
Mozart Piano concertos and Beethoven sonatas.

Tim Horwood