From:
Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:19:42 -0400
Peter Lundin wrote:

>Haveth any of You any more or less wellgrounded oppinion(s) on Victor
>Ullmanns Terezienstadt opera "Der Kaiser von Atlantis" - it is to be given
>by Opera students localy..  Thus has cought my eye - There is/was a CD on
>Decca, any thoughts on that?

In 1991, I conducted one of the first US performances of "Kaiser.."
 [probably in another performing edition] here in Washington DC, --a deeply
moving experience.

Given the circumstances of the work's composition I couldn't offer any
"objective" criticism, but more cold-blooded colleagues who attended assure
me that the music was-if eclectic-quite wonderful.

My impression is that perhaps Ullmann was the most gifted of the cohort
of Czech composers who perished at the hands of the Nazis...

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD