From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:40:25 -0400
That was very interesting about the origin of the modes and tracing the
development of the written musical composition.  Do you know when the notes
and measures began to be used to denote time signature and key signatures
to simplify composition? When were they first used? One of my piano
students asked me this question.  Interesting about the Dorian mode and the
descending order of notes in tetrachords.  This listserv certainly is an
education.  I am also starting to build my collection of CD's.  Maybe some
of you have some advice about buying the little known labels or the second
hand CD's.  Any advice?

Also, when you go to concerts, where do you like to sit in relationship
to the orchestra, full center on the same level as the orchestra plays or
above the orchestra if there is a balcony.  Now that summer is here, there
are a lot of outdoor events.  I don't know where to try to place myself
in the audience in an outdoor ampitheatre.  Do you have any suggestions?

Did any Philadelphians happen to catch a live concert of the Philadelphia
Young Artists Orchestra? I attended the last one of the season, June 5th.
It was played on the grounds of the Andalusia Estate in Andalusia, Pa.
Wonderful concert from a group of very competent young musicians under
the direction of Louis Scaglione, conductor.

This list has been giving me the kind of information about classical
music I have craved all my life and didn't know where to get it.  My family
were not listeners or concert goers and subsequently I only had limited
exposure to it in my youth.  Once I was an adult I started to build my
knowledge of music literature and composers, but you all have sent me to
the special depths of many facets of music I have not heard of before.
I thank you for all the treasures and look forward to continuing to learn.

Jane Pierce