From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:32:50 +0000
Olivier Solanet writes:

>Before we hastily point 'I told you so' fingers at me, we all know that
>Sokolov is an exceptional and extremely rare musician in the truest sense
>of the term ...

While I agree with Olivier that Sokolov is a wonderful artist and his
Diabelli Variations recording one of the best on record, the "we all
know" he's exceptional assumption is far from accurate.  There are plenty
of folks who do not share this assessment and even more who don't know
that Sokolov exists.

As for Olivier's view that Russian pianists display greater artistry
than pianists from other countries, I think it's best not to make such
proclamations and simply approach every professional pianist on an
individual basis.

Don Satz