From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 05:03:50 -0000
As a critic myself, I'd like to share with you something one of my
colleagues said at a conference a couple of years ago.  She told us about
a species of bird whose favourite perch is on the head of a rhinoceros.
I gather these birds render some sort of service, like grooming, to their
host, but the service they render to the rest of the natural community is
to announce the rhino's coming with their distinctive song.

As critics, we must always remember that we are the bird, not the rhino,
but that we do have a role in the musical world, and that it is an
important one.

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca