From:
Pablo Massa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:44:04 -0300
Danny  Tan wrote:

>I have had serious arguments with my girlfriend about Chopin Piano
>Concerto No. 1.  She is completely obsessed with the second movement
>which she said is "so beautiful".  To me, it seems just a long string
>of beautiful notes but do not "connect" emotionally.  I played her the
>2nd movements of Rach Piano 2, Beethoven Piano 5, Grieg's Piano Concerto,
>and "challenged" her that these are more worth listening.  It resulted
>in a disastrous quarrel that I surrender (cos' she won't talk to me), by
>promising to listen to the Chopin 20 times again.

A quarrel with a girl because of Chopin is a sad thing.  A friend of
mine used to play Chopin to innocent girls with infamous --but often
successful-- designs of seduction.  Once, he went too far:  he played
the first prelude to a blonde, and said to the poor victim that he had
composed it as a gift for her.  She believed him.  All this leads us to
a conclusion, but at this point, I think it's unnecesary.  The only thing
that one can do in case of a quarrel such as this is to play new variations
on "La ci darem la mano".

Pablo Massa