From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:14:07 -0500
Drew Capuder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'd be interested in thoughts on the new Abbado and Barenboim cycles.

In short, a big YES to Abbado and a big NO to Barenboim.  Abbado's cycle
is HIP-influenced, but with a much better orchestra than any HIP ensemble.
The 7th in his cycle is my pick for the most exciting recording of this
piece I've heard in a loooong time.  Tempi are fast, but the orchestral
playing is secure.  The Eroica is lighter than I prefer (Papa Kleiber/VPO
and Klemperer mono are my preferred references), but it fits well within
the overall concept of the cycle.  The 4th symphony and the Pastorale are
equally successful.  A solid cycle.

I have only heard some in the Barenboim cycle (3, 5, 7 and 9) and was
disappointed.  I found him too heavy handed and even bombastic.  Old Klemp
serves me much better for this approach.

Ramon Khalona