From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:36:22 -0600
Joel Hill wrote:

>Karl Miller wrote:
>
>>As of late I have observed many individuals selling pirate CDs of
>>classical discs that have not been reissued on CD.
>
>Is this legal?

Nope...it seems odd to me that the labels have not made any effort to
stop it, but I suppose they just don't see it as being significant...
especially since...it would appear, that it is not economically viable
or of interest to them to reissue some things.  I wonder how well those
wonderful transfers of the old Columbia discs sold.

>I have transferred many, many records and tapes to CD. Some of the
>results have been awesome, even though I am only using relatively simple
>audio restoration software.  I describe how I have been doing this on
>my web page and would be interested inknowing how others on the List
>transfer their music to CDs.

I use ProTools and the WAVES restoration software.

I may have mentioned this, but in my class in audio preservation we
devote at least one class to a comparison of transfers (issued commercially).
This semester we compared Dutton to Obert Thorn and Marston.  Dutton
seems to take out more noise and, assuming my ears are not lying to me,
he adds some reverb on occasion.  Wonder if any of you have noticed any
differences or can identify the "sound" of one transfer artist (And I
do see it as an art) over another.  We started out by comparing Dutton
and Obert Thorn on the Koussevitzky Appalachian Spring.  That was followed
by Dutton vs Marston on the Koussevitzky Prokofiev 5th.  I didn't tell
them who did what transfer on the Prokofiev and then did the "Pepsi"
challenge...asking which one was Dutton.  Out of 14 students, all but
one correctly identified the Dutton transfer!

Karl