From:
Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:21:05 -0600
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>:

>According to me, the main problem with the acceptance of 20th-century
>music is that amateur music-making has dwindled. In part this is due to
>the rise of mechanical and electronic reproduction and, I would add, the
>decline of school music programs

I'll have to disagree with you.  First of all, the quality of professional
classical musicians is at an all time high.  The standard for entrance to
a professional symphony orchestra are leaps and bounds beyond where they
were 50 years ago.  The quality of string instruction especially has
skyrocketed.  One could infer from that fact that the amateur ranks are
also better.

The other reason that doesn't hold water is that is not how kids decide to
play an instrument.  They don't say, "I play the violin, therefore I like
violin music." They come to a certain instrument because they are attracted
to the music they hear.  There are certainly no shortage of kids playing
the electric guitar, and they don't even offer that in school.

Thirdly, a piano is an instrument that has never been cheap, and 100 years
ago, a family that owned one would probably be well off.  The last 20 years
have brought electronic pianos and keyboards within the price range of
everyone.

Mark Landson <[log in to unmask]>