From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:13:23 +1100
In a recent post, Dave asked for possible additions to the Basic Repertoire
list at Classical Net's site.  After giving the matter some consideration,
I came up with this list.  In some cases, I've included what I think are
representative examples of broad listings which are already there, such as
the Rubbra symphonies, or have added works in some categories that seem to
me to be as well-known as the works already listed.  I have deliberately
avoided adding other personal favourites and have attempted to be as
unbiased as possible.

One task I considered and decided to leave was the addition of further
composers.

Classical:

Beethoven: Violin Sonata #7
           Piano Trio Op 70/1 (Ghost)
Haydn: Symphony #60

Romantic:

Bruch: Scottish Fantasy
Dvorak: Symphonies 5, 6
Elgar: Overtures In the South; Cockaigne
Faure: Masques et Bergamasques
Glazunov: Violin Concerto
Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto #4
Smetana: Piano Trio

20th Century:

Bartok: Piano Concertos 1, 2
Bax: Symphonies 1, 5, 6
Bernstein: Serenade for Violin and Orchestra
           Symphony #2
Britten: Violin Concerto
         Piano Concerto
         Suites for Cello
Copland: Billy the Kid
Harris: Symphony #6
Holst: Egdon Heath
Martinu: Symphony #4
Milhaud: Scaramouche
Nielsen: Violin Concerto
         Flute Concerto
         Helios
Poulenc: Gloria
Prokofiev: Symphonies 1, 6
Rodrigo: Fantasia for a Gentleman
Rubbra: Symphonies 4, 5
Schmidt: Symphony #4
Sibelius: Kullervo
          Tapiola
Simpson: Symphonies 3, 4, 5
Stravinsky: Symphony in 3 Movements
Thompson Re:  Symphony #2
Tubin: Symphonies 2, 4, 5, 6
Vaughan Williams: Symphony #2 (A London Symphony)
        Job, A Masque for Dancing
Walton: Symphony #2

Richard Pennycuick