From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:09:39 -0700
After Ed Zubrow's introduction to us of Hans Rott, I have now received
my CD from one of the Amazon associate suppliers.

This CD is an Arte Nova label, Munchner Rundfunkorchester under Sebastian
Weigle.  It contains Rott's Symphony, and two works called Orchestra
Prelude and Prelude to Julius Ceasar.  I have only listened to it once
(and listening again as I write) and therefore I am writing this with
some trepidation to an educated audience - after all, fools rush in where
angels fear to tread.

If the CD were played to me on a 'Guess the Composer' basis, I would
have guessed Bruckner, Sibelius and Mahler in that order.  I would say
that this has added an additional 'Bruckner' symphony to my collection.
It is very listenable.  There is a lot of melody, which to me was not
so evident at first.  The guy's orchestration is VERY good and I would
hesitantly compare him to my favourite orchestrators, Tchaikovsky or
Respighi.  Trumpets and tympani are prominent throughout.  I like the
crescendos that occur every now and then.

I would have liked him to expand on themes to a greater extent, like
Tchaikovsky did, but maybe I am just missing it at this early stage.
The tempo sounds slow and I would have preferred a much brisker
interpretation.  I don't know whether this is prescribed by the composer
or whether this is just this recording.  Sound quality of the recording
is good.  I would have preferred French horns to be a bit louder.

So, there are my comments.

Regards
Gerhard
http://skoongrappies.com