From:
Christopher Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:48:29 +0100
Whether Mr Philip Hensher is "against it" is not, with respect to that
gentleman, terribly interesting.  We might on the contrary feel the need
to keep our eyes and ears open to what's going on around us in the arts,
rather than bury our smug little heads in the sand.  Crossover is (as
it always has been) a fact of artistic life - make of it what we will.

As far as "Gaddafi" itself at ENO was concerned, it's worth pointing
out that the large London audiences received it very well, with great
enthusiasm, however the "usual suspects" amongst the old critics chose
to deride it.  It was, at least, of our time and about our time, which
is what theatre (and music, if you take half a look at its history) needs
to connect itself with -- if it's to have any chance of lasting at all!

Christopher Webber, Blackheath, London, UK
http://www.zarzuela.net
"ZARZUELA!" The Spanish Music Site