From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:04:18 GMT
Whenever I think that I'm awash in Bach recordings, more of them hit
the stores and web sites; today was no exception.  At a local store,
I came across Robert Levin's WTC Book II on Hanssler.  I was waiting
for Book I to hit the streets, having no idea that II was already issued.
Of course, I purchased the set (cost of 3.5 Naxos cd's).  What is
immediately interesting about this new set is that Levin plays the
harpsichord, clavichord, organ, and fortepiano.  Amazingly, he plays all
four instruments at the same time (only joking).  I don't yet know his
rationale for using four instruments, but I'll be reviewing this set in
the future.  I just have many other recordings to review first, including
Levin's own set of the English Suites.

Three other Bach recordings in the store were too enticing to pass up:
a Robert Hill harpsichord disc on Hanssler titled "Concerto, Fantasia, &
Fugue", a Suzuki disc on BIS titled "Fantasias & Fugues", and a Virgin disc
from Pierre Hantai containing three of Bach's Toccatas and other works.

There's only one thing to do about all these Bach discs to listen to and
review - refrain from sleeping and take a lot of leave from work.  I always
come up with reasonable solutions to the issues of the day.

Don Satz