From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 12:11:45 PST
Art Scott wrote:

>Gramophone is becoming increasingly hard to digest.  If it weren't for my
>interest in English music and in the London concert scene I would have
>bailed on my subscription some time back.

I realize how Art feels about Gramophone, but the total number of
English-speaking classical recording review magazines is very small.  I'm
aware of only Gramophone, BBC, Classic CD, Fanfare, and ARG.  Already, I
don't buy BBC for various reasons, so I'm left with four.  Classic CD is
nothing to write home about either.

I've continued getting Gramophone, so I must feel that I'm getting some
advantage out of it.  I should rethink that one as one of the advantages
was knowing what recordings were on the horizon.  Web sites like CDNOW
provide much of that now through their advance release section, although
it's sometimes hard to really know what's on the recording.

We classical music folks just don't have a much of a selection.  If we
loved one of the more popular musical forms, we could be inundated with
magazines.

Don Satz