From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 10:49:10 -0500
Bernard Chasan writes:

>By now many on this lizst have heard that Seji Ozawa is leaving in 3 years
>for the Vienna Opera.  Richard Dyer of the Boston Globe speculates on a
>successor.  It seems that the Rattle was the favorite until recently, but
>that is not so clear at present, and in any case Rattle may have a new job
>soon.  The only name mentioned by Dyer of someone not of Ozawa's generation
>or older is Robert Spano. I have heard Spano in guest appearances, and
>would welcome his appointment.

Spano's conducted down here in New Orleans, and more than once.  He was
good.  The orchestra played well, but not unearthly well, as it does for
other conductors.  I suspect that few would notice the difference between
him and Ozawa.  Just to show everyone that I have at least touched
greatness, I should mention that Spano and I are fellow alums.

There *is* another conductor I think much better (also a fellow alum) than
his present gigs would indicate - James Paul.  I'm a sucker for a singing
line, and he's got it in spades.

Steve Schwartz