From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:56:33 -0600
John Smyth replies to me:

>>I still obsess over certain performers.  I *will* buy any CD with
>>either George Szell's or Charles Munch's name on it.
>
>How is Munch's Berlioz Requiem?  Do you remember?  It's coming out in
>its original 3-channel format in Jan on SACD.

Which one?  He recorded it twice: once for RCA, once for DG.  The
DG (Munch's later recording) is fine, but pales (as does every other
recording) to Munch's first effort.  The RCA is hands-down my favorite
performance of that work.  Everything it should be -- wild, wooly, and
with the scent of limelight and greasepaint.  Terrific.

Steve Schwartz