From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:05:38 -0400
Dear Fellow Mahler and Schuricht fans: I've just got my ears around
a new remastering of Schuricht's historical (and historic) recording
of Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" with Thorborg and Oehmann & the
Concertgebouw from 1939 on the Bel Age label (BLA 103.015).  A detailed
comparison with Archiphon's release (ARCH-3.1, which suffers from lots of
clicks, pops and significant surface noise from the original acetates)
reveals that the Bel Age issue has been cleaned up considerably, but
without excessive noise reduction.  The result is that nearly all the
clicks and pops are gone and the surface noise has been mitigated
judiciously without (to my ears) excessive overfiltering.

Others have reported about another release on the Minerva label (which I
have not heard), but between Archiphon and Bel Age, it's an easy decision:
Bel Age will let you hear the performance without too much intrusive noise
(even the infamous lady comes through better in 'Der Abschied').  The price
is also nicer than Archiphon's (17 Dutch Guilders, or a little over $7 at
the current exchange, not including shipping).

Although I'm not associated with them, it's a pleasure to recommend my
source for this:

   http://www.kuijperklassiek.nl/

in the Netherlands.

Enjoy,