From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:11:02 -0600
Achim Breiling wrote:

>Some time ago Chandos has released a CD devoted to the music of one Ernest
>Pingoud (1887-1942).  It features a couple of symphonic poems composed
>around 1920 (Finnisch RSO, Oramo).  Anybody heard this disc or knows the
>music of this Finnish (?) composer? Is it rather modernist music from the
>20ties, maybe like Merikanto or Nystroem?

I have recordings of a fair number of his works.  As I recall the music
covers a fair range of gestures.  I found the music to be quite wonderful.
It is often mentioned that his music shows the influence of Scriabin.
While I find it from time to time in the music, I also find there is much
more to it.  Amongst my favorites are the late works:  Le Chant d'espace
and La Flamme eternelle.

He was Russian born, but settled in Finland in 1918.

I found it music worth exploring.

Karl