From:
"Glenda K. Finley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:17:41 -0700
I have been doing a composer project with ten and eleven year olds where
they have been doing biographies of selected composers and then trying to
locate sound clips of their works, sometimes these have been midi files and
other times they have been what I would call, "real music" even if it was
only a few seconds worth.  Does anyone know of sites that we should
consider?

It has been particularly difficult to find jazz offerings, but that is
probably because we didn't know where to look.  At school the search engine
is Yahooligans, which is supposed to be censored and that elimiates some
possibilities.  However, when I know of a site that is suitable, I bookmark
it for them and then they are able to copy a sound clip to their
Hyperstudio stack for their presentation.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Glenda K. Finley
Vocal Music Teacher
Taylor Elementary School

 [I imagine that by far the best place to start looking are the
 mail order CD sites.  Most of the major sites such as EveryCD, Music
 Boulevard/CDNow!, CD Universe, etc. have extensive on-line sound clips
 available, typically in RealAudio format, but occasionally MPEG3 a
 well.  I'll bet that between the top 3-5 retail CD sites, excerpts
 from just about all the woorks in the basic repertoire are available.
 -Dave]