From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:32:57 -0700
Janos Gereben wrote:

> A Plethora of Amazement
>
> The North American premiere of Sofia Gubaidulina's 2007 Violin Concerto
> No. 2, "In tempus praesens" (In the present time) arrived Thursday as
> an important musical event, revealing a strong, compelling, unusual,
> rewarding work.
>
> The soloist, Anne-Sophie Mutter (who had commissioned the 2007 concerto),
> gave a stunningly brilliant performance...

Mutter, more than any of the leading violinists I know, is eager to take
on challenging modern works, and is willing to talk about them.  For her
recording of this work she also plays--for the first time on disc--two
Bach violin concertos, one of which, the A minor, sounds interestingly
different from other versions I have heard.

As for the Gubaidulina, it is what Janos says it is, but it is not
for the faint-hearted; it is edgy, even avant-garde at this late date.
She seems to see it as her vision of heaven and hell.  I plan to write
something comparing it to her 1980 violin concerto called Offertorium--
when I get to it.

Jim Tobin