From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:59:41 -0600
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>NPR has a duty to serve the entire public.

I suppose it depends on how one interprets to notion of "serving" the
public.  Is serving the public giving them what they want, or think they
want?

>One need look at the list I provided above to see that music is not
>shorted on NPR.  Look, music is NOT dead.  It's alive and well and
>thriving at your local Best Buy store.

I would disagree, for I never find anything other than the familiar at
Best Buy.

>Perhaps the methods of retrieving it are different, but for a very small
>price if not completely free, there are ways to experience endless hours
>of fine music of every stripe, shape and color.  It seems that many of
>the fine folk on this list make it a sport to sit around and mourn the
>good ole days when things were like they liked them.  Well, I say, most
>respectfully: Get over it!

I don't mourn for the old days, I just don't see that much of public
broadcasting offers a substantive alternative to commercial broadcasting.
I miss what educational broadcasting offered...I have given up on public
broadcasting...I don't want to get over it, for I would like to think
that things could be different...would that mean they would be better...I
hope so.  For me, it is fundamental to think that the status quo is not
the best we can do as a species.

>There's still plenty of music out there to enjoy.  Let's stop with this
>requiem of a bygone era and enjoy the true wealth that we have.

There is a wealth of music, but if you believe as I do that broadcasting
educates as much, if not more than formal education, there needs to be
a place for broadcasting that challenges the public.

Karl