From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:01:44 -0500
There are two chamber music series here in the Des Moines area, one of
them much better than the other: the On Stage concerts are held at the
Des Moines Arts Center, designed in three stages beginning in the late
1940s, by three of the finest architects of their respective decades.
Last night the Claremont Trio played there.

Emily (violin) and Julia Bruskin (cello) are twins, and Donna Kwong
plays piano.  I hoped that three skinny pretty young women would turn
out to be more than a good marketing idea, but I didn't know the half
of it.  They played a Mozart trio, the Shostakovich Opus 67, and after
the interval, the Dvorak Dumky.  I enjoyed the Mozart and began to relax.
Then came the Shostakovich.  These girls weren't even born yet when S.
was a beacon of passion from the darkness of a horrible century, but
they played the s--t out of that piece.  When the twins play with mutes,
the sounds come from the Other Side, too beautiful for words; when Donna
launched into the Big Tune (same one as in the 8th string quartet, isn't
it?) I almost had to get up and do a trepak in the aisle.  Most of you
probably know that touring artists in places like Madison, Des Moines,
etc always get standing ovations, but usually at the end; the Claremont
Trio got one before the interval, and I was the first on my feet.

More than just pretty faces, then.  I recommend their CD, with the Arensky
Opus 32 and Shostakovish Op.  8 and 67, which I am listening to right
now.  But nothing can beat that live thrill.

Donald Clarke