From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 17:45:41 -0700
James Tobin responds to Schwartz:

>> Oboe concerti, for some reason, run rather rare on the ground these days.
>> Outside of Strauss, Vaughan Williams, Foss, Milhaud, Martin[u?], and
>> Alwyn, I can't think of another major composer who wrote one.
>
>We can quibble over who is "major," but Rochberg, Corigliano, Higdon
>and Zwillich, as well as Gordon Jacob, Bruno Maderna, Elliott Carter and
>Morton Feldman wrote oboe concerti also.  There is also Barber's Canzonetta
>for Oboe and Strings and Wolf-Ferrari's Idillio.

Now that you mention it, the notion of who is (or was) and who is not
major is indeed a problem.

However, if one does want to add to the list...some of my favorites
include: the Francaix Flower Clock, and concertos by Richard Rodney
Bennett; Easley Blackwood; Boughton; Burgess; Cooke; Eisma; Eshpai; Goeb
(Fantasy for Oboe and strings); Goossens; Henze & Lutoslawski (Double
Concerto w.  Harp); Martin 3 dances (w.  Harp); Holmboe; Ibert (Sym
Concertante); Jones; Koppel; Lees (a wonderful piece); Mathias (delightful);
Matthus; Thorarinsson, BA Zimmermann, et al.

Not to mention lots of short works by people like Wayne Barlow, Kent
Kennan, etc.

One last point...Bruno Maderna...I think he wrote at least 3 oboe
concertos.  But, I guess, more to the point, your mention of him reminded
me that it has been years since I have noticed any of his music being
programmed.  Any opinions on his music?

Also, I am reminded of another conductor composer, Leif Segerstam...any
opinions on his works.

Karl (who also wrote an oboe concerto)