From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:40:21 -0800
I always feel odd when I respond to a review and disagree with it.  I'm
never sure I should on a list.  Obviously, people react to the same music
and performances differently, and the last thing I want to do is cause
discord.  Still, I like to believe that whatever I say is information
of sorts that one can use or discard as one feels, so I'll throw my bit
into the barrel.

I reviewed this disc in the November/December 2008 ARG.  I did not care
for it at all.  There were some good moments here and there, but overall,
I found the performances too slow, rounded off, lacking in energy, and
unidiomatic, as if both Rattle and the BPO were uncomfortable with the
music.

I note that we differ in our opinions of the sound quality: I found
it nothing special.  It's possible that some of our differences may be
grounded in our respective audio systems--always a danger when comparing
reviews, I guess.

Roger Hecht