From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:34:03 -0500
George Marshall wrote:

>Has anyone any views on his music?

A terrific composer. I believe all of his 12 symphonies are recorded on
Albany Records (in the US), some with the Albany Symphony and the rest
with the BBC.  I forget who recorded the Tenth, but there are two that
I know of, though it's not his best work, alas.  4, 5, and 8 were also
recorded in wonderful sounding performances on Lyrita.  There's also a
Ninth on one of the BBC Magazine discs.  Lloyd wrote several works for
brass band, many on an Albany disc.  His opera Iernin is definity worth
seeking out as are the excerpts from John Socman, if less so.  I very
much like his big choral works, Symphonic Mass, Litany, and Vigil of
Venus.  I'd start with the works I've mentioned so far, particularly his
symphonies.  His four piano concertos and his 2 violin concertos I'm
less fond of, but I'm not fond of the forms either.

Lloyd's music is very tuneful, large in scale, and quite conservative.

If you liked the Fourth Symphony as much as you did, be prepared for a
parade of discoveries.  By the way, I'm too lazy to check on this (aka
go down stairs).  Lloyd recorded the Fourth twice.  The first was on
Lyrita with, I think the Philharmonia.  The second was with the Albany
Symphony.  The Phihlharmonia one is much better.  That said, the later
recordings with the Albany Symphony were much better than their effort
with the Fourth.  (Lloyd was a kind of resident composer/conductor in
Albany for a number of years.)

He was an interesting guy.  His music sounds good hearted, but some
of it is quite deep, and you can hear in some of them, his bitter
experiences during WWII, during which he was shell-shocked for a while.

Roger Hecht