From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 17:47:02 -0700
Deryk Barker wrote ...

>Unfortunately, you have just assigned *all* country music records
>made before the late 50s to the classical camp.  Drums were verboten in
>Nashville for decades, in fact the first ever Nashville recording with
>drums - and it caused quite a stir at the time - was Buddy Holly's Peggy
>Sue.  ...  Same thing applies - but not for the same reason - to all the
>country blues recordings:  personally I think Robert Johnson's songs and
>playing are great and that he is a classic.  But classical?

OK, I'll play it this way.  I will assert that the above mentioned music
IS classical and belongs in the same class with the music of Bach, Mozart,
Beethoven, Chopin, Wagner, et al.  Now, anyone who disagrees posts to this
thread by completing the following sentence -

   "Its not classical music because ..."

It will be interesting to see if there is a reason that has no exception in
CM:-)

Bill Pirkle