From:
"Nicholas J. Yasillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:27:11 -0600
I rarely do this, but in this case mentioning these two new CDs is
justified since both are (IMHO) true gems!

First, List contributor Karl Miller is way too modest to promote his own
CDs here so someone else needs to do it.  Karl's Pierian label has just
released a new recording of Chopin piano works performed by Barbara
Nissman.  The CD includes the Polonaise-Fantasy-Op.61, the F minor-Op.49
Fantasy, the Polonaise-Op. 53 as well as three etudes, three nocturnes
and much more.

Ms. Nissman is probably most well known for her Prokofiev, Bartok
and Ginastera recordings, but this CD shows how her superb romantic
interpretation of Chopin brings new light to these works.  The performance
is elegant and is beautifully recorded with no electronic processing of
any kind.  Highly recommended: Pierian 0019.

My other unabashed recommendation is for a new work by the astoundingly
prolific, brilliant American composer Augusta Read Thomas.  Ms. Thomas
is currently the Composer-In-Residence with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra
and also teaches composition at Northwestern University.  She has won
virtually every major award for composition.  For more about Ms. Thomas
see:

    http://www.augustareadthomas.com

Some of you may be familiar with Ms. Thomas works for chamber ensembles
and soloists, and of late, she has written many new works for full
orchestra which have been premiered by major ensembles all over the
world.  Her latest CD is titled "In My Sky At Twilight" and is for soprano
and 18 piece chamber orchestra.  The CD contains the single work and was
released as a limited edition of 2000 pieces.  Since its release in
November more than half of the CDs have been sold.

IMSAT is performed by soprano Christine Brandes, the MusicNOW ensemble
(mostly Chicago Symphony Orchestra members) conducted by Pierre Boulez.
It consists of settings of love poems by 16 authors spanning 3000 years.

The recording has received glowing reviews in Europe and in the U.S.
I'll quote a few to give you a description of the work:

First, John von Rhein, Chicago Tribune:

   ""In My Sky at Twilight" is hauntingly beautiful and well
   worth hearing..." "These 16 "songs of love and passion" leap
   across three millenia.  From an ancient Egyptian love lyric,
   through the Greek poets Sappho and Pindar, through the Victorian
   Elizabeth Barrett Browing, to the modern verses of ee cummings
   and Pablo Nieruda.  The lyrical, expressionistic vocal lines,
   with their ecstatic leaps and lamenting descents, thread these
   disparate texts into a richly varied tapestry to which an
   ensemble of 18 strings, winds and percussion lends its
   splintery, subtle, often sensuous colors."

   "Christine Brandes and members of the C.S.O.  may be the ideal
   instrument for this score."

Also, Wynne Delacoma, Chicago Sun times writes:

   "Christine Brandes is the superb soprano soloist, unfurling
   Thomas' jagged, passionate melodies with controlled abandon
   and bringing a haunted radiance to poetic texts that range
   from Sappho to Pablo Neruda.  Thomas' instrumental writing,
   so often full of unabashed wonderment and universe-embracing
   gestures, receives an intense, pristine performance from
   Boulez and his 18 musicians."

The CD is available from the Chicago Symphony Store:

    http://www.cso.org/  or Amazon.com

CD number: ART-2002 (Note: This is a true limited edition and these will
be gone soon)

Those of you living in, or visiting London next week will have an
opportunity to hear "In My Sky at Twilight" performed live on 23 Jan.
2004 at Queen Elizabeth Hall with soprano Claire Booth and the London
Sinfonietta conducted by Oliver Knussen.

Ms. Thomas is also the Distinguished Guest Composer this year at the
Winnipeg (CA) Festival (Jan.  24-30).  No less than eight of her works
will be performed (but not IMSAT).

Nick Yasillo
Norton Building Concert Series
http://home.earthlink.net/~nconcerts/