From:
Bob Kasenchak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 13:22:52 -0700
Here's an interesting one came across my desk yesterday:

Lyric Records 103
Lera Auerbach plays Mozart complete keyboard works, ages 5-9

Yep.  5 to 9 years old.  Ol' Father Leopold apparently carefully
transcribed and preserved all of Wolfie's early exercises, and they've
made their way down through the years.  There are 49 short pieces in all,
ranging from 13 seconds to 3 minutes in length.  Most are from the "London
Notebook" written during his year-long study in London with Johann
Christian Bach.  All are suprisingly well-constructed and lovely, and show
much care and sensitivity to music.  A few show early hints, seemingly even
sketches, of later works.  Few artists, I bet, show this much early genius.
Suggestions of later technique, signature cadential formulas, great trills
and decorative elements abound in these miniatures.

Lera Auerbach is (I've gathered) a Russian prodigy of sorts, being 25 years
old, an accomplished pianist, and having published some 70 volumes of
poetry.  She even won the Pushkin prize one year!  Dang.

All in all an interesting and beautiful release.  (Now I just have to
figure out how to list it!)

Bob K.