From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 16:20:50 -0500
Kathleen O'Connell wrote:

>>I also like Emanuel Ax's "original instrument" versions - I like the
>>sound of the reconstructed period Edard (sp/) piano he plays - but
>>probably wouldn't recommend these as a first choice.

Don Satz replied:

>I do recommend the two Sony cds of Ax as a first choice.  I wouldn't say
>this if the orchestral sound was scrawny or the fortepiano sounded "tinny."
>I consider the recorded sound and orchestra quite rich enough and the piano
>is very different from, say, Bilson's for the Mozart piano concertos.

I've heard others say this about the sound of the Ax recordings. On my
equipment the sound is muddy and tubby. Must be me.

Also, Walter Meyer suggests the earlier recordings of Zimerman. I have
those, too, and they're unexceptionable, but they don't have the elan of
the later recordings.

Scott Morrison