From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 17:20:14 -0700
John G. Deacon responds to my comment:

>>[Most artists have little if any input into the artwork and booklet that
>>accompany their releases.  Most performers get to see the artwork for
>>the first time when it's already a done deal.  -Dave]
>
>Sorry to disagree ; this is not my experience at all with more than half
>the artists having cover approval written into their contracts ...  Where
>a photo is being used the artist is nearly always closely involved in
>choosing it and one may safely assume that A-SM did so on this occasion and
>that she must like it - or have been persuaded of its marketing advantages.
>
>But artists, generally, do not involve themselves with the booklet
>contents.  ...

As I have no direct experience with this, having to rely on interviews and
articles I've read, John is certainly more qualified to comment here.  I do
wonder how this varies with label (I doubt any Naxos artists have any say,
for example), and with the stature of the artist.  I can well believe that
a handful of superstars and divas (I've gotten to the point that if I never
see that word again, it will be too soon) have that kind of control, but
how about the majority of artists and ensembles? I've read so many accounts
of artists who were surprised by the artwork when their CDs were released.

Any thoughts on this John?

Dave
http://www.classical.net/